Kristen Cashore...Graceling oh boy! Let's take a deep breath on this one. Fantasy, mystery, romance? Action I mean lets be honest with our selves...this book has it all. But who likes anchovies on their pizza? I mean really? Did you get the reference cause...I kind of didn't. Let's put it this way...some of us like things simple, realistic and relatable...very few of us like Fantasies, it is a minority though that is still a large real number of people so it is good that they are written but...not for me. Pepperoni and cheese please?
Katsa, main character young girl who has a special talent...she is called a graceling because she is of the species that has special talents...her uncle a power tripping freak who exploits her talents. Can she get her life straight and please her uncle and find love and forgive herself for...? You would have to find out.
This book would be a dream for teachers to get a hold of for their students. It has so many different aspects that can be looked at from literary merit to imaginative thoughts and actions and pretty much everything a "fantasy" should have.
I got to thinking about this book and what lessons could be taught with it and how students reception to such a book would be. Actually I found out that I like the idea of fantasy alot more than I actually like fantasy. I have always felt, and as a future English teacher I hope to express how important the imagination is for humanity. Really, arguably everything is up to the imagination...some peoples imaginations just became more acceptable than others see. If you teach this book with the mentality of exploring the human mind and its capabilities of thought you will be amazed with this novel.
And really, among fantasies it is slightly realistic. The girl feels oppressed, (what teenage girl doesn't?) and she is being "put upon" by her family. Really this could be relatable to life of teenagers at a vastly different perspective..
Overall...check it out...have fun with it...use your imagination!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment