Monday, November 16, 2009

Catching Fire, Blowing up, what has Katniss done now?

Catching Fire...the sequel to an intense beginning in the Hunger Games and far more enjoyable and organized with the same amount of anxiety. Don't you just love reading?

Well, Katniss and Pita just won the Hunger Games ( I hope you read the first one ) and all is good and great, there back home drama free and everyone loves them, its as if nothing ever happened...well not quite. ...Everything, and I mean everything is a mess... Gale and Katniss can hardly speak (you know those akward silences between you and your date that let you know that this is going no where?) well much worse. She finds out that Pita really does love her. Meanwhile the presidents pissed off cause they started a riot...how do we solve this...back to the Hunger games with new twists and turns you will just have to check it out yourself.


I thoroughly enjoyed the Hunger Games and even more so Catching Fire. As far as the literary merit is concerned...ahhh still not much but was that ever really the point? However, it seems to be a more chaotic time than even the hunger games but still somehow the author keeps it very well organized and makes some great references back to the hunger games as a way to kind of catch the reader up on what they may have forgotten. (For all those of you out there who read it in one night and had to wait months for the sequel.)

Classroom Classroom Classroom??? Well, to be honest, I am kind of stumped here. I would say that this book is not something that I would reccomend as a lesson plan in a classroom setting but it could do no harm in teaching it. Okay, well here is what I was thinking. In a history class when studying bad dictators ( and I am not talking bad dictators like Fidel Castro so we can put our american "democratic agenda" into lessons) like Hitler or Mousolinni this book could be used as a narrowly connected point for fun and a little more enjoyment than a typical history lesson.
However, this would take some high quality thought processing going on by both teachers and students, the ability to relate the two topics would have to be loosely graded. Kids shouldn't be expected to force a comparison so perhaps for an honors class or something like that.

Overall...fun book very exciting can't wait for number 3 three but... not ultra teacher friendly!

Tha..tha...that's all folks.!

No comments:

Post a Comment