The young adult literature class focuses, or seems to thus far, soley on writings by young adults and for young adults. The first thing that I thought when signing up for this class was that we were going to read and review books similar to "Catcher in the Rye," and I was not entirely wrong because so far that book has come up in discussions and articles and blogs everywhere I look, it seems to truly epitomize young adult literature.
I like that the field of young adult literature itself is controversial and mostly because no one really knows what exactly young adult literature is. The articles that we have read in class so far have been very useful and I have referred back to most of them several times during the course of the class and especially during discussions. The central them of most of these articles seems to by the underlying question of what exactly is adult literature? Most of the books that have been presented as options to our class, and all of the books that I have read in class seem to have central themes around young adults and there attempt to find their inner voice.
I was however, dissapointed in some of the criteria that excludes certain books from that category. A student brought up during class one day that she wouldn't mind reading a young adult literature book written from the perspective of an adult looking back. I think that is a great point because it is a very common thing that kids need guidance and love and a realization that someone has been through and survived their struggles or similar ones. Also it would seem important that this adult have no self-interest in any particular child because self interest seems to breed false motives and a general distrust that is often initiated by adults onto children. Afterall we all have to be children before we can be adults.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment