Sunday, September 13, 2009

Curious Incident of the Dog in the night time.

When I first read this book I was skeptical of it because I thought it lacked any kind of depth. My main complaints were about its simplistic style of writing and childish story line. I am more into literature myself than into actualy stories in books, (as it can be noted my favorite books involve little plot) and I felt that this book in particular had too much of a story line with not enough delivery of literature to back up the plot.
In my young adult literature class we discussed in small groups, all the books that we read for the previous week. When I discussed this book with my friends in the class and told them about my feelings on the book they all seemed to have similar reactions. They mostly said that since the book was written in the perspective of a boy with mild autism (possibly aspergers syndrome) it would be hard for a younger child reading the book to grasp that concept, where as adults or, college students for that matter could better humor the boy about his style of writing and his different perspective on life.
After we discussed this in our small groups I really changed my perspective on the book in a positive way. I realized that although this book was seemingly childish, that in reality that made for beautiful literature as if from the direct perspective of the narrator. This is a very talented way of writing that I would not have appreciated as much if I didn't hear an alternative perspective from my group members.
This book is about a boy who has some form of a learning disability (although it is never directly stated he seems to have qualities of autism such as: a desire for repitition, logic based on very particular things like seeing five cars yellow equals a bad day or vise versa) that finds his neighbors dog murdered. He goes on a long adventure across a city in England to find the killer. He later discovers it was his father and that his mother whom which he thought was dead was really only moved away becuase of an affair that she had with the neigbor. The book was action packed and very interesting from this boys perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment