Young Adult Literature...and its posotive contributions to the literature world. Well to start off anything that is geared towards a certain age group, especially one that is probably known to be rebellious and dislike reading is wonderful. Kids, Young Adults...whatever, we all need to read. Alot of the themes of young adult literature are excellent for these kids too.
How many freshman have dated a boy or a girl for a month and felt like they were in love? Well, lets put it this way...I know a few personally. A month, that is a long time when you are 15, that is like four weekends in a row...your mom drives you to your friends to do things that you wouldn't want your mom to know about and you try impress girls ( I am speaking from a heterosexual male perspective, please feel free to interject your preferences here because I don't want to write all that) I mean it works doesn't it? Drink a beer your cool, Smoke a cigarette your cool (Don't EVER SMOKE!) but who the hell is out there writing these stories for these kids. I know the last thing I wanted ot do at that age was go home and journal about the stuff I did. Well its great that some one is doing it.
I can remember my junior year in High school reading Catcher in the Rye...this cat's drinking adn smoking and buying prostitutes and writing all about it...that is Awesome!!! I don't remember too many kids who weren't digging the book... I mean I loved it. And it was because it was real, who doesn't feel depressed? who doesn't remember an old girlfriend and wish something else happened. Who doesn't want to drink and talk to older women? These things are real, that is what kids want to hear about and that is why YA is good...
There is more....but it basically all deals with relating to kids, I mean REALLY relating to kids and being honest with our selves. Other things that impressed me about this genre were the occasional literarily impressive novels...To name one "Looking for Alaska!" Loved it, I was shocked at how well written and somewhat plot oriented it was...these are the things you look for in any book it happens to be YA so thumbs UP to YA! YA? Y not?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment